Google Maps is a web mapping service developed by Google.
Why connect my Google Maps account to Airsquare?
By connecting Google Maps:
- You can use our Google map widget in a way which doesn't set any cookies. If you don't connect Google Maps, then we use an old method of embedding which sets many cookies, which the cookie consent bar will block until consent given.
- You can use our Google multiple-location map widget, this won't work unless you have Google Maps connected.
- Maps embedded elsewhere on your site (e.g. event listings, organisation listings) also use the cookieless embed method.
How do I connect Google Maps to Airsquare?
First you must have a Google Maps API key (see below on how to get one). Once you have an API key:
- In Airsquare, go to Account > Connected apps.
- Next to Google Maps, click Connect.
- Enter your Google Maps API Key
- Click Connect.
How do I get a Google Maps API key?
See this guide on how to setup a Google Cloud Account with Google, and get an API key:
How do I protect my Google Maps API Key?
When using embedding Google Maps on your website your API key is visible to anyone if they look at the code (easy to do).
If you don't secure your API key, by restricting how it's used, any bad actor could use your key to access other Google services, and bill to your account.
We strongly suggest you add the following restrictions to your API key.
Under HTTP Referrers, add these restrictions:
- *.yourwebsite.com/* (replace yourwebsite.com with your domain name!)
Under API restrictions, add these restrictions:
- Geocoding API
Will I be charged to use Google Maps?
Google offer a substantial free tier.
They also give you a substantial lump sum to start with.
Unless you have a very large amount of traffic it's unlikely you'd go over this free tier.