Memberships can be created by you or by the person joining online themselves. During this process you can take payment and raise an invoice (if Xero is connected).
Once a membership has been created, you can use Airsquare to track and automate renewal.
You can have as many different membership types as you like (e.g. individual, couple, family) and it'll also handle group memberships (e.g. family).
How do I create memberships myself?
- You must have the people you want to create memberships for already in Contacts > People. Just add each person first.
- Set up your membership types, do this under Contacts > People > Membership types. You'll only need to do this once at the beginning.
- Once you have the above completed, you can then start adding memberships under Contacts > People > Memberships.
How do people join online themselves?
- Setup your membership types, do this under Contacts > People > Membership types. You'll only need to do this once at the beginning. We recommend you add a Description and ideally an Image. It'll look way nicer.
- Create a Person membership type panel widget and place it on your "Join" page.
That's it. People can then add a membership type to the cart and checkout. During checkout they'll be asked to fill out any specific person information you've requested as part of the membership type. This information is attached to their person record.
We automatically set the membership to auto renew and the expiry date is set into the future based off the membership type duration.
Can I capture information for each member?
Yes! By default we always require a First name, Last name and Email address to be provided for each person part of a membership.
You can then optionally choose to ask for further information. Just edit the membership type under Contacts > People > Membership types. You'll see a section Person information to collect. Just toggle the information you require.
Don't see the field you need? If it's a core person field we already have, contact us and we'll get it added. If it's a custom field you need, you can add it yourself! Just add the custom field under Contacts > People > Custom fields, it'll then appear for selection under Person information to collect under the membership type.
What plan do I need to be on to use memberships?
You can be on any plan to track memberships. But if you want to create orders (either when a membership is created, or during the renewal process) you will need to be on one of our commerce plans (Small, Medium or Large).
How do I set up a free membership?
There's two options:
- Just set the price to 0 for the membership type.
- Or, if you want to give someone a free membership for a non-zero priced membership type you can manually create the membership yourself in the admin area. Just don't tick "Create an order now for this membership" when adding the membership and they'll never be charged. Be aware though that if it's set to auto renew, they'll be charged once the expiry date is reached. Of course, you can create a lifetime membership, see below.
How do I set up a lifetime membership?
There's two options:
- Set a very long Duration for the membership type.
- Or, if you're creating the membership manually, keep the Expiry date empty.
How do I set up a group membership type?
When adding a new membership type you'll see two fields, Minimum people and Maximum people. Here you can determine the range of people that can be added to a particular membership of this type.
If you had a family membership, which must have at least 2 people, and a maximum of 6 people, then the Minimum people would be set to 2, and the Maximum people would be set to 6.
When creating a membership manually, where do I add the person's credit card?
Credit card processing is done via Stripe. You would first need to have a Stripe account setup and connected to Airsquare.
Once connected, you can then associate a Stripe customer record to the person record in Airsquare. Find the person under Contacts > People, click View, then look for the External records section, you'll see an option to associate a Stripe customer to the person.
If the customer isn't there, you can either add them into Stripe first (along with their card details) or the customer will be sent an order confirmation which is Awaiting payment with an option to Pay online.
How does auto renewing memberships work?
Any memberships which are set to auto renew and expired (expiry date in the past) will be automatically renewed. Each renewal will:
- Create an order
- Send the Billing person an Order confirmation email.
- Send you an Order received email.
- Charge the Billing person's credit card if available and not expired (see below).
- Renew the membership by setting the Expiry date into the future, based of the membership type Duration.
- If Xero is connected, an invoice will automatically be created and attached to the order.
What happens if a person's credit card fails during the renewal process?
A credit card can fail for a variety of reasons. Typically this is because the card has expired, has insufficient funds or requires further verification (e.g. Strong Customer Authentication).
An order is always created and the membership renewed, regardless if the credit card is successfully charged or not.
If it does fail, you will be notified by email and the order will be marked as Awaiting payment. The customer will receive an order confirmation which is Awaiting payment with a link to Pay online. They will also receive an email explaining that their credit card failed.
Once the customer has paid online successfully you'll be notified by email that a payment has been received.
Can I charge a joining fee?
Yes. Just add your Joining fee prices when setting up the membership type. We only charge the joining fee when the membership is first created (never for renewals).
Can a person have more than one membership?
Yes, add as many as you like!
Can I see which memberships a person is part of?
Absolutely. Find the person under Contacts > People, click View, then look for the Memberships section which will list all memberships they are part of.
Can I see the order history for a membership?
Yes. Just find the membership under Contacts > People > Memberships, click View, then look for the Orders section.
Can I see which memberships were part of an order?
Yes. Just find the order under Commerce > Orders, click View, then look for the Person memberships section.
What tax zone is used for a membership?
We use the Billing address of the Billing person to determine which tax zone to use when creating an order for a membership.
What pricing tier is used for a membership?
We use the Pricing tier of the Billing person.
Can I sell memberships through the POS?
Not at the moment. If we see demand for this, we'll get it added.